This article helps administrators understand the appearance and process of using various features of the Surveys tool, from the front end (participant view). The Survey tool settings are saved, and the questions are created by the admin in the back end (admin view). These settings reflect on the front end, where the participant answers the questions.
NOTE: To understand the process of adding this tool in a project page, please see the article Add and Manage Surveys
The following steps describe how to preview and access various features of the Surveys tool at the front end (participant view) .
1. Select the respective project from the projects list as shown below.
2. In the project page, click on Preview button on the respective survey. The following front end (participant view) of the selected survey is displayed. This is the page that a participant can view and access.
NOTE: All unpublished Surveys tool items are displayed as ‘Draft’. Only administrators can view these in the preview mode.
Understanding front end of the Surveys tool
This section aims to explain various features of the Surveys tool available at the front end (participant view). Participants use this screen to take part in a survey. They can also share these surveys through social networking sites and emails. The below illustrations help administrators understand how changes made in the back end (admin view) are reflected in the front end (participant view).
The front end screen of the Surveys tool is quite easy to understand and use. Participants must perform the following steps to take part in this tool.
- Click on the Take Survey button.
The following screen is displayed.
2. Respond to the survey questions. These questions can be in the form of essays, drop-down menus, radio buttons, checkboxes, dates, ranks or more as described in the article on Survey Question Types explained.
3. After entering the responses, click on the Submit* button.
Participants will then see the acknowledgement message that you had entered in the Acknowledgement Message section in the back end (admin view) of your survey. They will also be able to view a holistic representation of survey results collected so far by clicking on "View responses".
*NOTE - Only when the Submit button is clicked on, the survey responses are saved. So for a single page survey, responses are NOT saved till it is submitted. For mutli-page surveys, the responses of the completed pages (not the current page) will be saved locally till submission of the survey. Read about creating multi-page surveys in the article on Use page elements to add a page to your survey.