In EHQ, you can allow your participants to link their EHQ accounts with their Facebook, Twitter and Google account. A participant that chooses this method of registration, as opposed to the regular way, will be able to login to your site using their Facebook, Twitter or Google login credentials. Note, however, that after the participant signs up using their social media page, they will be directed back to your EHQ site and will need to fill in the registration form to capture the demographic information you ask participants for, in the registration process.
How does it work?
1. When a participant chooses to register for your project, they will be given the option to login with 'Facebook', 'Twitter', 'Google' or register directly with EHQ.
2. The application will take the participant to their Twitter or Facebook or Google account, ask them to sign in to their account and to allow EHQ and Facebook or Twitter or Google to 'talk to each other'.
In Twitter for instance, it would look like this:
3. The participant will be directed back to your EHQ site and will need to fill in your registration form. This is necessary to capture the demographic information you ask participants for in the registration process.
4. After the registration is submitted and the participant has verified their email account, they can now log in using Facebook or Twitter or Google. There is no need for them to remember their screen name or password to the EHQ site. It also means that they will be automatically logged into your site if they remain logged in to Facebook or Twitter or Google on their computer.
Note: Users will not be able to login with their social media accounts if they have already registered on the site with the same email address. The social media login only works when the account is being created for the first time on your site.
How to enable Facebook, Twitter and Google log in?
Navigate to 'Site Settings' and the tab 'Permissions'.
Here you can enable the option 'Enable Signup Form' and tick the required options.
For Twitter, ticking the box and clicking Update is all you need to do.
For Google, please tick the box, click Update and then get in touch with our support via Chat or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enabling Facebook Login
For Facebook, you need to set up the 'App' within Facebook and obtain the 'Application ID' as well as the 'Application Secret'. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:
1. You will need to register with Facebook as a developer. It is free and easy to do. You do however need to use your private Facebook account, rather than your organisation's Facebook Page. Follow the steps as described here.
2. Create a new app (see detailed steps here). After you set up an app, you will be first asked to create a new app ID. We will run through this on the example of Penrith City Council.
3. The type of Product we are looking for is a Facebook login
4. The platform we are looking for is Web.
5. You will be asked what the URL of your site is. This is your EHQ domain. Enter it here and click save.
6. Now it gets a little bit more detailed. When you have completed the first few steps, you can run through the basic set up of an Facebook app creation. There are a few fields here, but it is all pretty straight forward and just a matter of copy and paste.
- Under Settings, choose Basic
- Enter your EHQ URL under App Domains
- Same for your terms
- The User Data Deletion callback URL will again be the URL of your site.
- Choose the category of your app.
7. Under Products, go to Facebook Login and Settings. The valid OAuth Redirect will be your EHQ domain, with /auth/facebook/callback appended. In the case of Penrith, this is https://yoursaypenrith.com.au/auth/facebook/callback
8. We are almost there now. Go back to Settings and Basic and copy the APP ID and APP Secret. You need to paste them back into EHQ in a moment.
9. Last step in Facebook is to make your app public. To do this, simply click ON (see step 1) and then confirm you want the app to be public.
10. Finally, go into EHQ into your Site Settings and into Participation. Make sure Facebook Signup (1) is enabled, paste the ID and Secret you just copied (2 & 3) and click save.
11. This should be it. Now you can test it by logging out and going to your login screen and clicking Facebook
12. When you have done all correctly, a screen like below will appear in your Facebook, asking you to confirm that you want to share your Facebook details with EHQ. This is what your participants will see as well. If you continue here, you will be taken back to your EHQ registration form.