The vast majority of EHQ admins rely on their participants to register on a site of their own accord. However, there are plenty of good reasons why you might want to bulk import participants into EHQ. This can be achieved via a CSV file import using our bulk importing tool.
Before you import any participants into your EHQ platform, it's essential that you are aware of your privacy obligations and are careful not to add any participants whom you are not entitled to.
The steps below describe how to import participants.
Select the Participants link in the navigation bar of EHQ. Once there, click on the Upload button as shown in the below.
Read through the instructions and download the CSV template by clicking the Download CSV template button. Open the downloaded CSV template and you will see that it contains three columns; email, login and password. You must populate the first two columns with a person's email address and the corresponding login name (aka 'screen name' or 'username'). The password column, you can leave blank or fill in. There are two different outcomes, depending on your choice.
- You nominate passwords - The participants will NOT receive a notification. Their account is instantly verified and active.
- You do NOT nominate passwords - The participants' accounts will remain inactive. After the upload, an automated email will be sent to the participant asking him/her to activate the account. To customize the email, please go to Site Settings > Messages & Notifications.
Fill in the template with the participants' details and save it on your desktop. Click on the Choose File button.
Browse to the file and upload it by clicking on the Upload button. If everything is fine, you will see the below screen and are asked to confirm the upload.
NOTE: In case there is an issue with the file, usually because an email or login has already been taken, you get an error message as below. Simply correct the error(s) in the CSV file and try uploading it again.
You can repeat the import process as many times as you like. When you upload participants, they receive a notification email with a link that directs them to your registration survey. Make sure that registration form is set up properly (see here for more information on how to set up the registration form)
We recommend you limit the number of participants uploaded at any point in time to 500. While importing more will work, the time it might take to complete the upload can be substantial particularly on slower internet connections. It is safer to split big imports into various smaller files.
Below is a short checklist of things you should consider when bulk importing participants:
- Only create accounts for email addresses for which you know the owner has given his/her consent.
- When you create accounts for people, they will still have to fill in the registration survey. You can NOT fill in the demographic information on behalf of the participants.
- Testing with a colleague or your private email first, can help you understand the process an ‘imported’ participants goes through.
- Consider doing the upload in stages. This will make it easier to react to feedback you might get after the upload has occurred. You need to associate a screen name with every email address.
- Participants will be able to change that screen name later. You cannot create accounts for email addresses that are already in use on your site (either as a participant or an admin account).
- Configure the automatically generated email that goes out after the import has occurred.