The Stories tool is specifically designed to allow longer-form contributions towards your engagement projects. It is perfect for use in the early stages of your consultation and can help you to empathise with your community by collecting personal experiences and relationships towards your project.
The tool operates in a mixed environment with options for on-site moderation and also to control the level of interaction with submitted stories by allowing or blocking user comments. Collecting stories using this tool is a safe alternative to trying to empathise in a social media environment as it is a safe protected space which is continually moderated.
To use the tool, you need to add it to your EHQ project. The following steps describe how to add the tool:
Select a project and then click on the option Add tool.
A list of tools is displayed on a draw from the right of the screen. Click on Stories to add the Stories tool to your project. This tool is available in the Mixed environment tools tab.
NOTE: Stories tool is also available in the All tab.
Now, you can view the Stories page. To add stories to the project, enter a suitable title in the Add a title field and click the Create button. The Edit Stories page is displayed. In the Description box, enter a description for your Stories tool, and images, if any. Click the Save button to save the entries.
Stories are entered by participants in the front end and these can be accepted or rejected by administrators at the back end. This action can be performed by clicking on the Edit button. Admins can also change the title, description and settings of the Stories tool by clicking on this button.
The Edit Stories page contains Details, Settings and Manage Stories tabs.
You can change the title and description of the stories tool in this tab. The title is displayed in the project page as shown below.
You can change the participation settings based on how you want your participants to engage.
- Allow unverified participation: Select this option to allow unverified participants to comment on the story. For doing this, they will be prompted for a username and email ID. They do not have to register to comment on the story.
- Allow comments: Select this option to allow the community to comment on published stories. This will also activate moderation of the comments. NOTE: Even if you allow comments to be made, the participant can still opt out of receiving comments on their own story. This is possible because some stories might be very personal and the storyteller might not feel comfortable receiving comments on their story.
- Bang The Table Moderated: On selecting this option, Bang the Table’s moderators (the ‘Peacekeepers’) will take on the moderation. Note: Peacekeeper Moderation is available only if you have purchased it. Please check with us if you are unsure.
- Thank you message: Here, you can enter a message to participant on submitting the story. This message is displayed in the preview after a participant submits a story.
In the Notifications tab, you can send a set of different email notifications to admins and participants:
- Acknowledgement sent to a user when they add a new story
- Notification sent to admin when a new story is added
- Notification sent to user when their story has been accepted
- Notification sent to user when their story has been rejected
The Manage stories tab displays the stories added by participants. The administrators can accept or reject the stories in this tab. The number of new, accepted and rejected stories are displayed in the brackets next to New, Accepted and Rejected.
Stories created are in the draft format. To publish the stories, select the Publish option from the drop-down menu. After publishing the tool, you can view Archive and Unpublish options in the drop-down menu. Archive the Stories tool by clicking on the Archive option provided in the drop-down menu. You also have the option to unpublish it by clicking on the Unpublish option.