The Follow Project widget allows visitors to opt-in to receive updates on your project. Unlike a normal registration process, the Follow Project widget provides a lighter way of collecting participant details as they will not be required to go through a registration process. By using this widget, you will be able to capture authenticated email addresses to use with our Newsletter Tool in order to keep your community informed.
NOTE - Your project follower will NOT get automatic updates to your project. You need to keep them informed by sending them a newsletter, read our article on How to send newsletters to project followers to view the list of your followers and send them a newsletter.
The following steps describe how to integrate the Follow Project widget in your EHQ project using the Widgets feature.
1. Select the Projects link and from the drop-down menu, click the project to which you want to add the Follow Project widget.
The Manage page is displayed. Click on the Widgets link.
2. A list of active and available widgets are displayed that can be added to your page. Click on Follow Project in the Available Widgets list to add it to the Active Widgets list.
3. The Follow Project widget is now shown in the Active Widgets list. Click Save.
The participant experience of this widget will be different, based on, if the participant has registered, or not and this view is explained in the last section of this article.
After integrating the Follow Project widget in your project, participants are allowed to subscribe to updates from this project without registering. Read the article on How many people are following my project ? to understand how to track your project followers and read our article on How to send newsletters to project followers to keep them informed with project updates by sending them newsletters.
NOTE - In case your project is in Draft status, this widget is disabled. Participants can subscribe only to published projects. On archiving this project, the Follow Project widget does not appear on the project anymore.
Participants can view the Follow Project widget in the project’s landing page as shown below.
4. After adding the Follow Project widget in the Active Widgets list, you can edit/view, hide or delete it.
5. To edit or view the Follow Project widget in the Active Widget list, click the Edit button.
6. To hide the Follow Project widget, click the Hide button.
The below icon against the widget indicates that the widget is hidden.
The following figure illustrates the project’s page with the Follow Project widget visible on the left and hidden on the right.
7. To delete the Follow Project widget from the project, click the Delete button.
The following dialog box is displayed.
8. Click OK to delete the Follow Project widget. The following screen is displayed, wherein the Follow Project widget is no longer displayed in the Active Widgets list.
Registered and unregistered participant have a slightly different user experience when using this follow project widget as detailed below:
How UNREGISTERED participants can subscribe to follow a project.
1. Participants have to provide their email and click on the Subscribe button.
2. After they have provided their email address, the following message is displayed for confirmation.
3. The participant will then receive an email prompting them to confirm their email or to register on the site. An example email is shown below.
Note - Only when the participant either confirms his email or registers on the site will they start receiving the newsletters you send.
How REGISTERED participants can subscribe to follow a project.
1. The participant has to only click the Subscribe button to start receiving project newsletters.
2. The following message is displayed as confirmation.
How subscribed participants can UNSUBSCRIBE to follow a project.
1. After subscribing to a project, a Manage your subscriptions link is provided to manage and edit your subscriptions.
2. Clicking on the link will display the following Manage Email Preferences page. This displays the projects you are subscribed to receive emails from and provides the option to Unsubscribe.
NOTE: For more information on managing email subscriptions, see article Managing Email Preferences.