The Ideas tool allows you to collect your communities views and suggestions on a range of set topics or challenges. Participants can add their ideas and vote on other contributions in order to help you unpack the priorities and most relevant ideas to your community.
Using the Ideas tool is great for co-designing solutions with your community and also for collecting input in the early stages of developing your consultation. It is also a great tool to use with a mobile device such as a tablet, to collect ideas digitally in a face-to-face setting.
By virtue of how it is used this tool is designed to allow only registered user participation. To use the tool, first you need to add it to your project page. The following steps describe how to add the tool to a project:
1. Select the Projects link from the top menu of EHQ and click on your specific project from the drop-down menu.
This displays the Manage Page.
2. Click on the Tools option. A list of tools that can be added to your page is displayed.
3. Select the Ideas tool and click Save.
4. The following screen indicating that the tool is updated successfully is displayed in the project’s Manage page.
After the tool is added to your project’s Manage page, you can Rename, Manage or Remove it using the provided options.
The Manage link displays the Ideas tool page. On this page, you can add, manage and publish a new Idea generation campaign.
5. Click the Manage link. The following Ideas page is displayed.
6. Click on the Add button to add a new Idea activity. The following Create Ideas section is displayed on the Ideas page.
7. Enter the topic for idea generation in the Title box.
8. Enter the description in the Description box.
9. View the permanent link in the Permalink field. This URL is generated automatically after you enter the title in the Title field. For example: In the screenshot below, the title entered is Testing Ideas Tool and the URL extension is automatically generated as testing-ideas-tool.
10. Enter relevant tags based on your title and description in the Tags field.
The next set of fields are for customising your settings for this tool -
11. Select Allow image upload to allow your participants to add images to their idea contributions.
12. Select Allow comments to allow participants to comment on Ideas posted by other participants.
13. Select the Send email acknowledgement to participant when a new idea is added checkbox to send an email acknowledgement to the participant when a new idea is added in this project tool by the participant.
14. Select the Send email notifications to admins when new ideas are added checkbox to send an email notification to the administrator(s) when a new idea is added to this project tool. Enter the email address(es) in the field provided, as shown.
15. Set the Voting Dates by clicking on Indefinite Voting or Scheduled Voting located on the right side of the Ideas page.
- Indefinite Voting: It is selected by default. It is perfect for a long-running activity to accumulate ideas and votes over time. Ideas can be added and voted for as soon as the tool is published.
- Scheduled Voting: Set a timeframe for when voting is allowed. As soon as the voting is open, ideas can no longer be added. This splits the activity into an idea collection period and a voting period.
14. On clicking the Scheduled Voting option, the following screen pops up.
15. To schedule a voting date, click on the calendar icon for Start Voting On field. The following screen is displayed. Select an appropriate date and time from the Start Voting Date Scheduler and click Done. NOTE: If no starting date is chosen for the voting, it will start when the Idea is published.
16. Click on the calendar icon of Conclude Voting On field. The following screen is displayed. Select an appropriate date and time from the Conclude Voting Date Scheduler and click Done.
17. Click Save after you have entered all the details. The saved Idea is displayed as a draft until it is published.
You can view all the new Ideas in the All tab. Archived Ideas are displayed in the Archived tab. Published Ideas are displayed in the Published tab.
18. When ready to Publish, click on the Publish Now link in the dropdown as shown below.
19. To Publish at a later date click on Publish Later, a drop down calendar if displayed to choose the date and time.
20. Once published, options to Archive and unpublish (bring back to draft mode) are available.
21. Once this consultation has completed and you want to archive, click the Archive link. A confirmation dialog appears as shown below. Fill your message and click on Archive.